The museum’s C-53, while currently in a DC-3 configuration, actually started in 1942 as a prototype for Douglas Aircraft. It was the only XC-53A built and was used for testing a full trailing edge wing flap. The C-53/C-47 was becoming a widely used platform and the roles of the plane were constantly being expanded upon. The flap design, if proven efficient, would’ve enabled the C-53 to be even more versatile. However, tests proved that the difference was marginal at best so the plane was put back together with stock wings and then sold during the reclamation process in 1949. The C-53 still has the original data plate inside showing the X.